Happy Kevie

Happy Kevie

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hit the showers




I love taking a shower.



Whether it's early in the morning, mid-day, or even at night, taking a shower always makes me feel better...in both mind and body. It is my sanctuary, my quiet place, my place for prayer and meditation. A shower for me is not only the actual enclosure, but also the water itself, and the experience as a whole.
As with most things in this blog, I have come to this epiphany of self knowledge recently. And, YES, it was while I was in the shower that I decided to blog about it.
It's more than just the water running down your body. It's the actual surroundings as well.
Outside showers are the best. Growing up, I was fortunate enough to have a 2nd home in Sea Isle City, NJ. I was a beach baby. First in Avalon, then to Sea Isle. The outside shower "downashore" is not only essential, but standard plumbing. Each house had a roughly built plywood and 2 x4 enclosure. Some had wooden grates on the floor, some were just bare concrete, or God forbid stones. I actually helped build ours. Not too shocking, since my father was a big fan of indentured servitude. But that is a topic for another blog.
The outside shower was necessary at the beach so as to not bring sand into the indoor plumbing and clog it up. So after a long day at the beach (or surfing) baking in the sun, swimming in the ocean, playing in the sand, you were ready to wash up.
Now this brings up another issue that I will cover later, that involves "heat" in the shower. Having sunburn, as I did most of my life due to being pasty Irish white, in the shower can lead to a very unpleasant experience in the shower. You will know EXACTLY where you are burnt when you get into a shower that is too hot, or too cold.
But getting in the shower and getting the water going was so refreshing. The enclosure that we built went from mid-shin to low neck. So it wasn't all boxed in. Fresh summer breezes blowing in, the warm orange glow of the even sun, the cool water washing the salt and sand off. Ahhhhhh.
Then the soap (usually Dove) and shampoo. It seemed as if you were never so clean as you were after a beach shower. Squeaky clean.
If I could have an outdoor shower, I would and would use it as much as possible. Maybe it was the "communing with nature" or the feeling of openness, but I love a good outdoor shower.
As most of us don't have a shore house, indoor showers are the norm. I am so weird with my affinity for showers, that I have certain physical showers that I still recall fondly. I prefer a tub shower, as opposed to standup stall showers. My good friends, Sacha and Jim built a beautiful shower with soapstone (I think) with a nice bench and sealed it in glass and have a steamer, so it doubles as a steam room! This shower is in the Kevin Shower Hall of Fame. John Walter has a lovely shower as well. His bathroom has a sunlight and also a wonderful full coverage shower head.
This is another area of discussion. Now I don't get too carried away with shower heads. I do try to buy ones that give a good wide spray with decent flow, but for the most part I keep it simple. The ladies, I understand, have more a liking to the hand held version with the various settings. This I certainly can undertand, but alas I do not avail myself to these types of shower heads.
John has the "rainfall" type head, similar to the picture above, but much larger. This a wonderful feeling of being in a rainfall and being totally drenched.
Bottom line here, is get what you like. Try a few different ones out.
If I had the room and money, I would have a comfortable seat in my shower as well. For long term thinking, and to also enjoy the steamroom effect as well. Double heads or multiple heads are also something amazing, although it can feel like you are in a car wash at times.
The shower is my favorite way to get warm or cool down. A little trick that I use in the summer time is to jump in the shower and get it as cold as I can handle. From there I try to soak my "hot spots". Behind your neck, under your arms, and your groin area. The longer and colder the water is on those spots, the quicker you will cool your body core. It's a bit torturous, but afterwards you will definitely be cooler. Same in the winter. A hot shower does wonders to get you warm on a cold, blustery, winter day.
The shower is such a great place to literally and figuratively get cleansed in both mind and body.
Give yourself the time in the day to take your time and enjoy. Relax. Take some deep breaths. FEEL the water. Each drop as it hits you and rolls down. Listen to the white noise of the water. Stop the madness, and listen to what's truly going on in your heart and soul. Smell the soap, the shampoo, the conditioner. Let it soothe you. Stretch a little bit. Then when you think you are done, stay a few minutes longer. Then grab a big clean fluffy towel and wrap yourself up like you did as a kid. I guarantee the world will feel a little bit more bearable and hopefully, life a little clearer.
Now, Hit the Showers!!!

1 comment:

  1. Don't know what happened with the line spacing. Tried to fix it but no luck. ??

    ReplyDelete